Okay let me be honest for a minute. I have said before I am NOT a reader however, the past 3 months I found reading absolutely amazing. I can honestly say that I love reading. Even if they’re just picture books a few chapter books I love them. I will continue reading as many books as I can. Here are six things that I feel you should know about children’s literature.
1. It’s important – I feel it’s very important to read to your children. Children’s learning Start way before they enter school. It starts at home. What better way to help your children learn then to read a book with them. I also feel if you start reading to them young they’ll grow to love reading.
2. Children books not just for kids- I feel children’s books can be read at any age. There’s no rule that says you have to be a child to read a good picture book. All books are good I’ve actually started reading a book by Nicholas Sparks and I love it. I just feel nothing beats a good children’s book, and I’m sure I’m not the only one who feels like this. Anyone can read children’s books and they’ll love the feeling you get when you do so.
3. Keep reading- there are hundreds of children books out there. I feel like I’ve read a lot of them. However, not even at the tip of the iceberg. Previously I said how important reading was and I stand by that so keep reading new children books are written every day find a new one.
4. Read diverse books- this one I feel I should have put that number one. Not only for yourself but for the children you come in contact with it is so important to read diverse books. It will help keep yours and the child mind open it also helps everyone learn things about other places you may not have known. I feel this is one of the most important things I’ve learned about children literature. Younger children expecially should be read as many diverse books as you can find to read to them.
5. The importance of libraries- I honestly believe a lot of us used technology to read, a Kindle, nook, tablet, and an iPad. However, I’ll admit I did use some of these to find books to read them. However I will tell you I absolutely loved going to the library. You get such a bond the librarians and even other people that are in the library. A lot of my books I found at the school library in the elementary building, but I love going in there and talking to the librarian. She is so nice and they are all very helpful. Plus I don’t feel you get the full feeling from just reading it on an electronic device. Holding it in seeing the pages and the pictures makes a world of difference.
6. Who doesn’t love talking about children’s books- I don’t know about any of you but I love talking to my kids about the books I’ve been reading. It’s nice to have them sharing it with me and me sharing what I know with them. I have also found even adults love talking about children’s books. Just look at the past few months and how much we’ve all talked about children’s books. There are so many things to know about children’s literature. Thank all of you for suck a wonderful few months and thanks for sharing all the wonderful books you all have read.
justine on It’s Monday what are you… theimbouch86 on Top Ten Caldecott books theimbouch86 on Ten books everyone should… jillpetersen17 on Top Ten Caldecott books aimeeglandt on Ten books everyone should…